Monday, January 12, 2009

A Subconscious Mirror Image, Myself


A few nights ago, I had a dream. To be brief, in this dream I was hanging upside down, suspended by the left foot by a rope wrapped around my ankle. I was hanging against a wall from the threshold of a door, where normally a set of stairs would be constructed. However, past this threshold there was only a 90 drop to the floor below, and me hanging there.

When I awoke I recognized that the way I was suspended was exactly that of the Hanged Man from various tarot decks. The image above is from the Light and Shadow tarot, the most frequently used by me.

Just now, I finally got around to googling some information on the symbolism and interpretation of the Hanged Man. Those of you who know me know that I do not believe in chance, and that everything that seems like a coincidence is merely an opportunity presented by the universe to see through the veil of our mundane, over-rationalized experience.

Here is some of what wikipedia had to say about the Hanged Man. It is incredibly resonant with me, especially in light of my recent series of revelations.
The Hanged Man is a card of profound but veiled significance. Its symbolism points to divinity, linking it to the Passion of Christ in Christianity, especially The Crucifixion; to the narratives of Osiris (Egyptian mythology) and Mithras (Roman mythology). In all of these archetypal stories, the destruction of self brings life to humanity; on the card, these are symbolized respectively by the person of the hanged man and the living tree from which he hangs bound. Its relationship to the other cards usually involves the sacrifice that makes sacred; personal loss for a greater good or a greater gain.

Serenely dangling upside-down, the Hanged Man has let go of worldly attachments. He has sacrificed a desire for control over his circumstances in order to gain an understanding of, and communion with, creative energies far greater than his individual self. In letting go, the hero gains a profound perspective accessible only to someone free from everyday conceptual, dualistic reality.

3 comments:

Alex said...

the other day i had a dream in which i was hanging out with my parents and girlfriend (don't recall what we were all doing, and they've never met in real life...) and then without warning my penis fell off. i guess i wasn't wearing pants in the dream.
anyway, how would you interpret that dream? i'm thinking something about liberation...


(i repeat, this was a real dream)

Bibliophile said...

in all honesty, i think this dream is representative of suppressed sexual anxiety, esp considering your gf and parents were both there... the people who taught you about sex/brought you to life through sex; and the person you are having sex with presently. however, you should think about how you FELT during and after the dream, because that is usually the most telling about what your subconscious is hinting at...

Alex said...

ehh. i don't remember what i felt at all other than sweat. i felt sweaty.

whatever, the important part is that the important part is still actually attached. though somewhere in an unreachable universe there is a me with a missing me. poor fella.