Thursday, March 5, 2009

Briefly, fly by fire

Senior work proposal is consuming my life. Was floundering for a while to find a working research question narrow enough to build my proposal on. Finally, this afternoon busted out something kind of manageable, at least for round one--pre-revision. I'm sure not a single one of you has any idea what I'm talking about, but here it is... Dante Theologus: What is the relationship of Dante's representation of Heaven, specifically in the Circle of the Sun in Paradiso X-XIV, to the conflict between Scholastic philosophy and radical eschatology in late medieval Italy, especially as pertaining to the competition between the Franciscan and Dominican order and to the heretical eschatology of Joachim of Flora.

Yes, it is convoluted. That is why I will spend the rest of my weekend reading and writing and clarifying (hopefully) and writing and bibliographing.

Oh, did I mention that as soon as I finish my proposal, I have to start a 10-page paper on the chapter of my choice from Spinoza's Tractatus Theologico-Politicus, explaining it in its own context and then to the work as a whole by Thursday? And another midterm for the same day.

At least I submitted my application to Dharamsala today so I no longer have that burden weighing on me.

Damn it, I need to learn to read Latin, French, German and Italian. And Greek. And Spanish.

No comments: