Thursday, June 19, 2008

government warning

This morning I woke up to Katie yelling in my window. I was dreaming deeply of generous vending machines, Professor Arturo, empowering the oppressed with Marx, and ripping pages from their bindings. I spent four hours eliminating duplicate albums and tracks from my iTunes library. Then Katie and John went out, and I fidgeted around and tried to find someone to hang out, but I didn't really want to hang out with anyone if it meant spending money. By 7:20 I hadn't thought of anything to do except eat and watch more American Dad! Fortunately, that's when John returned with his bandmates to practice in our living room. I ate my veggie burger, read the first paragraph of an article in SEED then realized I'd already read it. Once I'd done that, I drew for a little while on the back of my letter exercises as step 3 of applying for this intership/research assistant position with Helen Whitney. I'm not getting my hopes up about it so I won't be disappointed if I don't get it. I know I'm very qualified, and I have Katherine's referral working in my favor, but I'm not sure if I'm the right person for the job. For one, I got the impression I was the only undergrad among the applicants, and that my obligations come fall might make me less desirable than someone who has long term availability. Whatever. I won't know anything until Helen returns from Germany next week. Because I spent so much time cleaning up my music library today I decided to start work on the playlist for the party Saturday. It's going to be my last party until Andy and I move in together in August. I spoke with Dad today and he might drive out here to help with the move. I think Andy and I will manage even if he can't. I don't have that much stuff and I can't imagine Andy having much if he's flying from California. As much fun as I have had in this apartment, I am ready to move out. I've realized in the last month or so, as the move out date has drawn near, that I am only comfortable living one place for about six months. A lot of that has to do with how difficult it has been to find a place that fits me. I've never really lived in a place that was completely my own, that I furnished, arranged, and decorated. Perhaps things would have been different here if I'd had a real bed rather than a loft.

I lie down like a tired dog, licking his wounds in the shade.

I bought color film for my camera the other day. I asked for a film with a deep saturated color, and I'm excited to see how my first roll turns out. Unlike black and white, which taught me how to see in shades, since I bought this color film, I have started seeing things in hues. I now have the full spectrum (of visible color) at my availability, and now that it's nearly summer and the sun will be at it's more intense and colors will be at their most brilliant. I am excited to try this something new.

No comments: