Sunday, November 15, 2009

Love

I am hopelessly in love with everyone.

Some weeks ago I entrusted a magical clay model of my heart which I had crafted to a dear friend. But now, I feel that my heart is beyond my control, being in the care of someone else. There are times when the feeling of vulnerability that inevitably arises from such a scenario becomes such a source of anxiety that I wish for my heart back. But it is so fragile, so soft and easily bruised and scarred, that I don't trust myself to take it back into my possession. To keep it in one place, where I can't injure it, seems more secure. For the sake of my heart, I leave it in his care. And at night when I drift to sleep, I feel it beating in the same room as his heart, and I know it is in gentle hands.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The heart is a fragile thing indeed. One small fracture can usually be sustained - the scar tissue barely noticed. But the big break, the one you never believe you can recover from, is the one you won't.

Jeff