Sunday, July 13, 2008

ennumeration

Here I am, returning yet again to spit my thoughts into this little box for your consideration. I have been busying myself lately. I work full time at a counter job that bores me to death, buying and selling used books, dining as a party of 1, and otherwise going places and seeing faces.

I have settled on a firm concept for my next tattoo piece, one which I am one week later still excited about. This has not been the case for any tattoo idea I've had since I finished my first piece almost 4 years ago. For years I have been enthralled by the Commedia Divina of Dante Alighieri. Infierno in particular holds a certain fascination for me. As a religious studies concentrator with a specialization in religion and literature, it is no surprise that I would write my senior thesis on this piece of literature. In commemoration of the feat of writing my senior work, which I won't begin for another 6 months, I will be getting select illustrations of scenes from Infierno on my right leg from knee to ankle. I bought an illustrated copy of The Divine Comedy translated by Lawrence G White, illustrated by Gustav Dore. His is by far the best series of illustrations I have seen. Here is a sample of what I'm considering.

Canto V: Paolo & Francesca







Harpies in the Forest of Suicides












Lucifer, King of Hell




Still, there are a few obstacles I must overcome before I can succeed in realizing this desire. For starters, I need to find a tattoo artist who is affordable and still competent enough to execute my idea in exactly the way I want. It is only on this point that I can say I wish I were in Indianapolis. Trevor at Metamorphosis is the only person who has ever tattooed me, so it is hard to imagine anyone else sticking it to me. So the second obstacle is the time it will take to find the right artist for this project. I spoke to one guy at Addicted NYC but his portfolio failed to excite, so I absolutely want to see what else is out there. But it will be so totally worth it. I can almost feel it already.

No comments: