Wednesday, July 30, 2008

when i awoke i was struck with awe that there was a new day

I am moving on Thursday. I found a new apartment in a different neighborhood. I have lived in many different neighborhoods in this city. I have moved eight times, perhaps. It is not easy or cheap, and doing it by yourself is miserable. Fortunately, I have had help, and though I've lived in shitty places, I've lived in very unique and diverse places. There is no end to where anyone may end up in this city, let alone the world.

The word "entropy" is derived from the Greek εντροπία "a turning toward" (εν- "in" + τροπή "a turning"), and is symbolized by S in physics.?-wikipedia memorized this term in AP Chemistry my senior year of high school, and I have been fascinated by it ever since. It had a profound impact on my system of belief. Chemical theory was always very fascinating to me. I'm also really fascinated by cosmology. The mere fact that at any given moment, the whole universe is out there happening at the very same time. Add to that the possibility of other dimensions. Endlessness infinitude. O. I'm taking a course next semester on science and religion. It is being taught "in tandem" by two professors. David Morgan, Physics; Michael Pettinger, comparative literature and languages. I go to a pretty small private school in the middle of Greenwich Village. I'm getting a really interesting education but I don't really know if it will get me a "real" job. My education makes me not want a "real" job. I've given some thought to non-profit. That seems to be the default sector of the alumni from my school.

Do you ever challenge cars when you cross the street? Sometimes I do. I am a very aggressive pedestrian. Sometimes I do it very smoothly and skillfully, but some days I'm not 100 percent and I end up bumping into people, cutting them off, bumping into stuff, tripping, dropping stuff... generally klutzing it up. It's on those days I feel like my timing is off, like I'm moving at a different pace than the rest of the world and it makes it difficult for me to harmonize with my environment. However, there are some days when everything is so unified it's like the whole day was orchestrated to work in my favor. One day I was sitting in a cafe on University eating a late breakfast and reading a novel. I use a queen of spades I found somewhere as a bookmark. When the waiter brought me my food, he remarked that it is supposedly an unlucky card. My reply was, "I don't believe in bad luck." I really like the look of the card, and it makes a sturdy bookmark.

I'm pretty sure my family is convinced I am a total whack job. Or, maybe I'm convinced they're convinced because I'm convinced. I have definitely said things before that could be used against me in the event my loved ones tried to have me committed. However, the fact that they haven't yet is a good indication they never will. Unless I get more whacked out... which isn't impossible. (And you have yet another example of something that could be used to discredit my sanity when I'm committed.) I just like pointing out the different ways there are of interpreting one thing. I am particularly fond of turning ambiguous phrasing into inuendo. Especially by tagging on, "That's what she said." I have a very juvenile sense of humor.

I am currently reading "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman by theoretical physicist Richard P. Feynman. It is about his adventures in life learning, teaching, working on the Manhattan Project, winning the Nobel Prize, and making lots of mischief. It's a very straightforward story, heartfelt, honest account of Feyman's adventures. I'm about 4/5 done, and I don't know anything about him besides what I've read, so I'm anticipating finishing it. I will let you know how it goes. I haven't decided what to read next but I have a lot of books and plenty of time to read before I go back to school. I don't really have much going on.

I have been having a really good time of life lately, having adventures of body, mind, and spirit. Not many adventures of heart, though; there just isn't time, yet. I'm in no hurry.

4 comments:

Alex said...

Feynman seems a rather interesting character judging from his quotes and anecdotes I've read of him.

Bibliophile said...

If you'd like to borrow it, you're welcome to... I just finished it this morning. It's a quick read, too.

moi said...

hey.... is this you? because - it's me. yes.

i also love entropy.... we are bffs!! when i found out that its symbol was "S" i was like, ahhhhh... of course, of course it is.

(everything is occuring simultaneously in the universe and yet, and yet! we find pieces of ourselves scattered about throughout it that encourage us in our hopes and desires, as if they, or we, had come before (or after) and placed them there, by desiring them. increased randomness leading to order? hmmm. i am not sure at all what i mean, but i appreciate that you also like to think about such things.)

Bibliophile said...

It is me, and it is you! yes!

I've always loved entropy because before I even realized it I've always been drawn to the power of chaos. I'm sure that is why I tend to commit acts of spontaneity others have deemed reckless, but I throw myself into them because I don't believe in coincidence and, the nature of chaos being exactly what it is, opportunities are only guaranteed to arise once, though in a chaotic universe not necessarily only once. Yes? Yes.

We should explore this more, and I'm sure we could also speak at length about psychedelics and their relationship to science, philosophy, and religion (I just read your post on DMT and it got me thinking...).