Monday, June 22, 2009

Universal Cooperation

So, I've been bugging out lately. I'm behind on getting my visa for India secured. I also flew off the handle for a couple weeks at the beginning of the month and have overspent my preparation funds and now must humble myself and go running to the family with my tail between my legs asking for a few hundred dollars loan so I don't have to buy everything at the last minute, including paying for my immunizations. But I'm not particularly fretful. I know I can pull it together. I stopped binge drinking, and have been in communication with the study abroad coordinator, and she isn't impressing me with a sense of panic, so time, though short, is not up.

On that note, I'll be in India two weeks from today. Well, tonight. My flight leaves New York approximately 8:30 in the evening on July 5th and arrives in New Delhi approximately the same time on July 6th. I've been doing my homework for the trip, reading the assigned books. The first was the autobiography of the Dalai Lama, Freedom in Exile. The second, and more factually informative, is In Exile from the Land of Snows by John Avedon. It is enthralling despite it's density, and is putting the idea in my head of changing my thesis topic to something relevant to Tibetan studies. It makes sense, actually. Not only will I be studying very closely with my professors on this trip, but I will be interviewing Tibetans and submitting a final project at its conclusion, all of which can be tailored into a new thesis proposal, which I will have to submit at the conclusion of the summer. Plus, I am so fucking over my current thesis advisor that I no longer have any desire to work with him. So, establishing a strong relationship with my professor while I'm in India could hopefully lead to him agreeing to be my advisor in the Fall.

That's about it as far as the mundane happenings of my life presently. I have been jotting down some short creative pieces that will be forthcoming shortly.

No comments: